Thursday, January 8, 2009

1/7/09


People and fans and waves. Bellingham is a little bit of lake right now, puddles on campus are taking over spaces where once we just tripped over sunken bricks. Standing in the rain I am doubting the reality of SAD (seasonal affective dissorder). Or maybe if you live here you just come to embrace it. But I stood there in the rain, hat on, marmot jacket on and boots definately on and watched it. People fan around puddles and skirt them like a pool when you little and scared of the deep end but as they came to the shallow bit I swear to you that they all made a little splash. A little puddle lover in all of us. It reminded me of my niece and her telling me about jumping in puddles and getting "all wet, up all over me body!" and the glee that came pouring out of her with each puddle story. I think us Bellinghamsters are getting there. The rain is sinking in so deep that we are getting rain days off school. Kids are waking up and checking the windows for puddles in the same way I used to look for big fat white flakes that meant busses weren't running. We are there. A puddle loving, splashing group of hamsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment