Wednesday, January 7, 2009

"The Day the Earth Stood Still" and more....

Today marks day two of winter quarter 2009. I wasn't excited about any courses until today. Yesterday I went to my film studies class...hmm Science Fiction and the Apocalypse films. Not quite my cup of tea but I am trying to get into it. Today I will be watching "The thing from Outer space" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still" both from 1951 both wonderfully epic according to my silly professor who looks like big bird.
Today however, I got excited. I went to my first class of the day (after 2 hours of terribly mind numbing/creativity killing work) and got my first taste of Slam poetry. The course it meant to research how slam came about, how it is developing and where it is moving. We also will be writing/performing multiple times during the quarter. Today we had a guest come and perform and it was beyond moving. I thought of slam poetry as falling on either the rap side of the line or more toward "wo-man, woooohhh-man. Hard hearted havenger of haggis" kind of line (So I married an axe murder). I was picturing beat boxing or dejembe playing. Not at all what I got. Instead this giant burly man from Hawaii walked in with a deeper than ocean voice and performed. Beautiful, moving, alliteration, slant rhyme, variation of speed and tone and volume...all rolled into one spoken song. I cried right there on the spot. Blame my sensitive nature on it. Or blame him for writing about a puppy at one point. But this was intense stuff, made me really ready and excited to tackle a new style/genre of writing that I have never attempted!
After that class I hightailed it, through the rain that seemed really ordinary but has somehow shut down all school in Bellingham (other than WWU) and has put Whatcom into a 'state of emergency!', and made it to the far end of campus for my final class of the day. Advanced fiction writing...ok. So, I eeked my way through intro to fiction because of having a horrible teacher who maybe was 20 years old and I just was mean and got through based on speaking well in class, not based on writing well. I made it through by writing nonfiction and changing the names, I am no fiction author. But I need the class for graduation and it was being offered by a prof I get along with well, and like allot. So....I'm in. That brings me to the point of this new blog. For this class we are doing a quarter long project that entails making an observation of your day and writing it down at 4:51pm every day. I decided I would do this with a new blog...new year...new class...new project...seemed about right. I may not post at 4:51 on the button everyday but I will post what I write down for the observation at some point. Also, I think it is high time I make one blog and just post everything on it, no more creating crazy very specific ones. So here you are. 4:51 project, some recipes most likely and just musings. Now some work and some monsters attacking earth...and a thing from outer space falling to Antarctica about to thaw out...WATCH OUT SCI-FI HERE I COME!

No comments:

Post a Comment